Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sweet Valentine Cupcakes


I got this cute cupcake book called What's New,Cupcake? created by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson and have been wanting try making one of the cute cupcakes. I chose the flowers because them seemed great for Valentines Day, which is fast approaching.  And I already had marshmallows and the other ingredients in my cupboard : )




I always make my cakes and cupcakes with box mixes. They are just so much easier. And I think they taste really good too. Here is what you will need to make these flower cupcakes.


Make the cupcakes according to the directions on the box. I prefer to add a 1-2 cap fulls of vanilla to my batter. It adds just a little more vanilla flavor. While the cupcakes are baking, you will want to make the flower petals. Its very easy, just a little time consuming. You will need 1 bag of mini marshmallows and either white sugar or colored sugar sprinkles to color your flower petals. After you decide what color you want your flowers, place 1/2 cup of sugar or colored sprinkles in a ziplock bag. Then cut all of the mini marshmallows in half on the diagonal and place in the ziplock bag. Now shake shake your booty...I mean your bag... until all of the cut side of the marshmallows are coated with the sprinkles. Set aside for later.



Once your cupcakes have baked and cooled, you will need to frost them. Don't overdo the frosting or it will ooze out the sides of the petals.


Starting along the outside edge of the cupcake, place the edge of the petals into the frosting, one at a time. Working your way around the cupcake until you reach the top. I chose to use petals on the entire cupcake, but you can also leave a space at the top to put a round dollop of frosting or candy as the center of the flower.



TA DA! You have your super easy flower cupcakes and everyone will think you are a master cupcake artist.




I also had my daughter's help me. This is how my 2 year old decorated her cupcake. She liked the sugar!


1 comment: